Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The sweetest moment.

Last night, we had our Bible study at our house. By the time everyone left, we were able to clean up, and then Steven had to leave for work. I was getting ready for bed, picking out clothes (a battle I loathe each night), ironing, and the like. In the monitor, I heard Ezra start to cry, move around, whimper in bed...he doesn't normally make a peep all night long. So I went in to check on him.

He was still laying down in his crib, but he was obviously not really sleeping. I reached down to rub his back and smelled something, so I did a diaper check. After he was all clean, I went to put him back to bed. By this time, he's about halfway awake. He knows I'm there, but he's still unbelievably sleepy. When I went to put him down, he grabbed my neck and whimpered, "No!" He melted my heart, and I couldn't resist.

So I turned the living room lights down, and we rocked. This simple pleasure and amazing privilege doesn't happen often at all anymore. He's a "lay me down, I'll roll over and find my thumb" kind of kid, which I am totally ok with! But when he will let me rock him on rare occasions, I treasure it.

While rocking, I start singing over him. The house was empty, so why not? I enjoyed singing old church of Christ devo songs that I never sing anymore. After I stopped singing the first song, Ezra pulled his thumb out of his mouth and said, "More again." Oh my. Sweetest thing he's ever said to me. Straight from his sleepy little heart. So, of course, I sang more...again. After that song, he said, "More again," but this time with his thumb in his mouth, so it came out, "Muh ahuhn." I love it. So we rocked and sang a little bit longer. Finally, he was completely asleep.

So I pick up my sleeping little boy. He clings to my neck and lays his head on my shoulder. I lay him down and he slept soundly the rest of the night. There are so many joys of being a mommy. But that has been my top moment so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment